Bobby Flay Among Featured Chefs at James Beard House Event in Honor of Taste of the NFL
A cast of culinary standouts, including Bobby Flay, prepared a special dinner to support the James Beard Foundation and honor the Taste of the NFL at the historic James Beard House on Saturday, Nov. 19. In addition to Flay, who is a Taste of the NFL board member, other chefs “in the house” included Stephan Lewandowski of Tribeca Grill in New York City, Jack McDavid of Jack’s Firehouse in Philadelphia and Pastry Chef Stephane Motir also of Tribeca Grill in New York City.
"It's always fun to work together with these great chefs, particularly at the renowned kitchen of the James Beard House," said Taste of the NFL Chef Director Mark Haugen. "Their dedication to hunger relief for families in need makes all of this happen."
The dinner took place on the eve of the New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles matchup at the Meadowlands with each team’s Taste of the NFL chefs representing their teams for a night of charity, football and food. Chef Lewandowski is the New York Giants chef representative, and Chef McDavid has been the Taste of the NFL chef representative for the Philadelphia Eagles since 1992. This is the second year in a row that Taste of the NFL has had an event at the James Beard House which is located in the former townhouse of celebrated cookbook author & television personality James Beard and hosts a limited number of monthly events to showcase culinary artists from around the world.
Members of NBC Sports, a longtime supporter of Taste of the NFL, stopped by to join the chefs in the kitchen and the guests in the dining room, including Bob Costas, Al Michaels and Michele Tafoya who is a Taste of the NFL board member.
“I think we did a good job of staying out of everyone's way so that these chefs could work their magic,” said Tafoya.
"It's best to leave the cooking to these professionals, and I am sure each chef agreed, so we did just observe and report; that's what we do best," added Costas. "And also taste, of course!"
Michaels thanked the guests for their support of hunger relief in his comments before dinner was served, and encouraged everyone to find ways to continue to help others beyond the night's dinner event. Another member of the NBC team, Tony Dungy, is the Honorary Chair for Taste of the NFL this year.
Photo credit: Eileen Miller
- Taste of the NFL Chef Tory McPhail Wins James Beard Best Chef South!
- "A Place at the Table" - Screening Feb 21 - Edina!
- Taste of the NFL Raises Funds to Provide 4 Million Meals
- Seattle Seahawks Fans Score the Winning Touchdown in the Kick Hunger Challenge
- 22nd Annual Taste of the NFL in New Orleans with Times-Picayune
- Uptown Network Taste of the NFL App to Kick Hunger!
- Taste of the NFL Welcomes Party City in Fight to End Hunger
- Miss America 2013, Mallory Hagan: Join the Kick Hunger Challenge!
- Super Bowl XLVII Media Day with Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers
- Chef Spotlight: Gaines Dobbins of Eureka Restaurant